You may celebrate each year at a parade followed by a plate of corned beef and cabbage, but what do you really know about the holiday's history?
1. True or False: St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, for whom the holiday is named, was born in Ireland?
2. In what year did the U.S. hold its first celebration of St. Patricks Day as a Catholic holiday?
3. True or False: The first official New York City St. Patricks Day parade took place in 1762?
4. Which of the following is considered the traditional Irish meal to have on St. Patricks Day?
A. Brittinghams Irish stew
B. Dijon-glazed Corned Beef
C. Irish Bacon and Cabbage
D. Lamb and Leek Pie
5. The city of Chicago dyes its river green to celebrate. What year did this tradition begin?
6. The shamrock, a symbol of Ireland, has how many clovers?
7. How did St. Patrick, according to legend, make all the snakes disappear from Ireland?
A. Killing them
B. Flooding the country
C. Burning the country
D. Pounding drums
8. According to Irish legend, you must do what to the Blarney Stone to gain the gift of gab?
A. Rub it
B. Stare at it for five minutes
C. Take a piece home with you
D. Kiss it
9. Where was St. Patrick's Day first celebrated in America?
D. New York City
Copyright © 2013, Tribune Interactive