1:08 PM PDT, August 28, 2012
STUDIO CITY, Calif. (KTLA) -- The transient who was allegedly caught breaking into LL Cool J's home last week has pleaded not guilty to a residential burglary charge.
Jonathan Kirby, 56, remains in jail on a $1.1 million bail. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for September 10 in Van Nuys Superior Court.
Kirby suffered a broken nose, jaw and ribs after his confrontation with the "NCIS: Los Angeles" actor.
Police were called to the star's home in the 12000 block of Blairwood Drive around 1 a.m. on Aug. 22.
LL Cool J, whose real name is James Todd Smith, told police that he was upstairs in his house and heard noise coming from the kitchen area.
When he went down to investigate, the suspect came at him, leading to a fight, police said.
The actor, who was not hurt, later told police that he acted out of concern for his family.
Kirby was charged the following day as a Third Striker in a felony complaint for arrest warrant filed by the D.A.'s office.
The Texas-native has a record of thefts, disorderly conduct and other criminal activity across Los Angeles and Orange counties.
The L.A. County district attorney said he also has a voluntary manslaughter conviction in Texas in 1988.
Court and prison records indicate Kirby was sentenced to five years in prison for burglary in the 1990s and three years in prison for petty theft in 2005.
He also has another theft conviction for which he served jail time, records show. He was discharged from prison on Feb. 1.
Investigators suspect Kirby may be responsible for other break-ins in the Studio City area in recent weeks.