On the NFL
3:59 PM PST, January 10, 2013
Last week in parenthesis
1. Broncos (1): They are 13-3 at home in the playoffs in their history, and have won 11 straight. Those are two strong trends.
2. Packers (2): They got revenge on the Vikings in the wild-card round Saturday; now they will try to get duplicate that against the 49ers in the divisional round.
3. Seahawks (3): This is why they are hot — over their last nine games the Seahawks are plus-16 in turnover differential. That's the best in the league over that period.
4. 49ers (4): Young quarterback/savant Colin Kaepernick may be taught a thing or two Saturday by old quarterback/savant Aaron Rodgers. Then again, Kaepernick may be taking some of the Packers defenders to school.
5. Patriots (5): Destiny points to Manning-Brady in the AFC championship game. For the record, Tom Brady is 9-4 in his career against Peyton Manning, including a victory earlier this season. Brady has a 2-1 postseason edge, but they are 1-1 in AFC championship games.
6. Falcons (7): After going one and done in three postseasons under Mike Smith, the playoff monkey is on the backs of the Falcons. Only a victory against the plucky Seahawks will get it off.
7. Texans (10): Could they have a worse matchup in the divisional playoff round? Last month they lost to the Patriots by 28 points.
8. Ravens (11): For Ray Lewis to be dancing at the end of their game this week, the Ravens will have to pull off quite a feat.
Copyright © 2013, Chicago Tribune